Friday, May 17, 2013

May 17, 2013: a list I kept because today is the One Day In Ithaca Write-In Extravaganza


Today I took a long hot shower in an attempt to unwrinkle myself from yesterday.

Today I enjoyed, for a short while, the delicious quiet of early morning, before a siren wailed through the neighborhood.

Today I made a super special smoothie in honor of One Day In Ithaca: kale, spinach, celery, parsley, dill, strawberries, blueberries, half a banana, a splash of lemon juice, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, almond milk.

Today I stood at the corner of State and Albany Streets and inhaled  lilacs.

Today I followed a yellow butterfly down the street.

Today I intended to count tulips as I walked around the neighborhood but I ended up counting pink plastic flamingos instead.

Today I tried to keep things quiet inside my head.

Today I thought about the letter V and especially about the word Vitality.

Today I promised myself to devote one hour a day to reading novels. 

Today I came across this wonderful line in Penelope Lively's book How It All Began: "Birds have burst into song, and oh! Look at the cherry!"

Today I had fun eavesdropping on some Young Theatre People as they debated the merits of cheeseburgers vs. pancakes and tried to decide the names they should have been given, rather than the names they actually do have.

Today I changed back and forth between my distance and close-up eyeglasses at least 20 times, but I still resist getting those progressive lenses, even though I do like the word progressive.

Today I received e-mails and other kinds of messages from many different friends and I must say this: I felt loved.

Today I chanted om shanti om shanti om shanti — Peace — all day long; which is to say I chanted silently whenever I remembered to do so. 

Today I received two beautiful blank books as a gift from a young writing friend and now I can't wait to discover how I will fill them.

Today I went out for dinner with my sweetheart, nothing fancy, no place special, but it felt fancy and special, because we never stopped talking and we laughed a lot too, and the food was good and the drinks were cold and wet.

Today I was aware of what a good thing it is to be alive in Ithaca in the middle of May.