Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sound/No Sound: small poems

    
reaching for the alarm clock
shutting off
the dream

shattered
my favorite mug
the voices inside my head

red nail polish
her hands 
so loud

untangling a wave
from the ocean
your deepest sigh

listen
our laughter in this old photograph
my sister and me

all in one bowl
shells from different oceans
sing the same song

i knew you'd arrive today
in my dream
the call of a bamboo flute

waking from a dream
i cry out for my sister
the crow also cries

a stranger's sneeze
floats downriver
enters our canoe

how loud
the phone
not ringing

midnight loneliness
drip drip drip drip drip
icicles

dusty and untuned
your piano
such a melancholy day

striking the brass bell
so many yesterdays
begin this way

saturday night
party time
slow dancing to Mozart adagios

once i knew the lyrics
to dozens of songs . . .
now i chant
om shanti om shanti om shanti
om