Monday, August 15, 2011

Hummingbirds at the gazebo


Welcome! This is my first post. 

Blue and I were visiting friends in Vermont last week. They have a gazebo in the middle of their flower garden. A gazebo! I've always dreamed of camping out in such a hide-away. ("Camping out" doesn't have anything to do with camping. It means sitting in a really comfy chair with your feet up, and reading, and drinking some sort of cold drink. And not talking. For a long time.)

I spent a couple hours in that gazebo, it was screened, no bugs. Heavenly. I waited for the hummingbirds to come. And then they did.

Later, we picked raspberries and discovered huge garlic stalks growing among the berries. I hope they were enjoying their time together — the sweet and not-so-sweet garden friends.

Earlier in the week we were on Cape Cod and made a pilgrimage to the Edward Gorey House at #8 Strawberry Lane in Yarmouthport. 

We arrived there an hour early, sat on grey rockers on the grey porch, and tuned into the Gorey spirits (chortle chortle moan groan chortle). If you're not already a Gorey fan I hope you'll soon become one. A great place to start is with AMPHIGOREY, an anthology that contains 15 of his illustrated books! And there are many more volumes after that one. 

It's good to be back in Ithaca. The drive home was very wet:

laughing so hard
we missed
the thunder